Motorcycle Instructors Course
TLI41418 – Certificate in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Motorcycle Riding Instruction)
Start living your dream!
Have you ever felt that you would like the opportunity to help people enjoy a sport that you have found to be rewarding? Maybe you are looking for a little additional income doing something you enjoy with people that share your interests in motorcycling? No matter your reason for wanting to become a motorcycle instructor, Top Rider is looking for individuals with the dedication, experience and people skills to help teach learners in the art of motorcycle riding.
Pathways as a Top Rider Instructor
Level 1 – Learner training both 1on1 and group based, roadcraft, SMART rides – This level will build your confidence, instructor skills, personal riding skills
Level 2 – QRide licencing courses – This level develops your assessment skills, facilitation skills
Level 3 – Advanced (1 & 2) & Dirt Bike courses – This brings in a new genre, once again developing personal riding and instructor skills
Level 4 – Coach and Set up Days, Maintenance, Adventure Bike, Advanced (3) – More genres of the sport added, this level is the start of your sports coaching career
Level 5 – Grip School, Advanced (4, 5 & 6), Instructors Course, ATV & Side by side Courses – This level is the sports coaching and Training and Assessing level, Australia and International
Share your Experience
Every year thousands of riders of all ages and backgrounds learn to ride motorcycles. These future riders depend upon the wisdom and experience of more seasoned riders – like you. Being an instructor is a journey, not a destination!
Benefits of Teaching
For some students, learning to ride a motorcycle is a lifelong dream. Helping them achieve that goal is also a huge reward for the instructor. And don’t forget about saving lives. But truly, what instructors say gives them the most satisfaction is simply the look on a student’s face when the light bulb goes on over their head and they get it. That’s what instructing is about.
To be considered as an instructor, applicants:
- Must have a valid driver’s license and motorcycle R Class for 12 months or longer
- Must be an active rider able to safely operate a two-wheeled motorcycle
- Must have an acceptable driving record
- Must pass a criminal history check
- Must be in good mental and physical condition
- Must be certified in basic first aid
Requirements within Queensland to deliver Qride training:
The applicant must:
- Hold a current driver trainer accreditation to provide driver training for a class R motorcycle, or
- Have successfully completed a Certificate IV qualification in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport Motorcycle Riding Instruction) TLI41416, and
- Have completed a Q-Ride Rider Trainer Curriculum Training course, and
- Have completed a Certificate IV qualification in Training and Assessment – TAE40116 or TAE40110 or
- Have completed Assessment Competency Units, TAEASS401 and TAEASS402, or
- TLISS00162, Driving Instructor Skill Set.
Instructor candidates must be capable of sustained physical exertion for a minimum of four hours. Most courses take place on weekend days. You don’t need to be a trained athlete but teaching motorcycle safety is physically and mentally demanding. Instructors are on their feet up to eight hours each day with very few, short breaks. Instructors bend over repeatedly, push motorcycles for short periods and move quickly (jog, not run) when needed.
Weather conditions are rarely ideal. Temperature is usually either cold or hot, and when it’s cold it is frequently raining – courses run rain or shine.
Instructors are individuals with a genuine interest in helping people. Instructors need to observe and listen carefully to students – and be sensitive to their needs. The simple translation for the instructor: “This course is not about me. This course is about the students and what they need.”
When training new riders, Instructors report a marked improvement in their own riding skills! It really is true that “the more you know, the better it gets.” Our belief is that students learn by doing. They need lots of time to practice. What they also need is clear, concise instruction and feedback.
What it Takes
- A smile and a sincere desire to help people
- A good driving record — this is a safety course and your driving record reflects your attitude of safety first
- Considerable riding experience — instructors must ride well enough to correctly demonstrate the correct riding skills to students
- Good communication skills — the ability to communicate effectively with individuals and groups of people
- Pass the Instructors Course
- As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) #41398, our instructors at Top Rider will train you far beyond the nationally recognised TLI41418 certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Motorcycle Rider Instruction)
- The Motorcycle Instructors Course currently consists of 13 modules consisting of both theory and practical. There are 2 options available: full-time or part-time.
- View modules here >>
- Students will need to bring their own bike for the practical side of the course (bike hire is available, please call for pricing)
- Full-time $3,300 (paid in three instalments of $1,100)
Instructors Course Information Night
Top Rider run a free Motorcycle Instructors Course Information Night on the Gold Coast. This info night is a great opportunity to find out if being a motorcycle instructor is for you. You will find out the specific details of what is involved in becoming a motorcycle instructor and how your passion can become your lifestyle. Pizza included!
Next information nights:
- Monday 6th January 2020 – Gold Coast – Lawrence Drive Nerang
- Thursday 16th January 2020 – Cairns – Cairns Show Grounds
- Monday 20th January 2020 – Mackay – Mackay Touch Fields
- Thursday 23rd January 2020 – Townsville – location TBC
To attend the information night you will need to register. Please register below at the location you would like to attend.
Next Instructors Course (practical components)
- Monday 17th February – Friday 28th February 2020 – delivered on the Gold Coast, Nerang
- To book in for the Instructors Course please click the book now button below and fill out the required form. You will then be booked in online via Top Rider staff and will be sent an enrolment form. Once the enrolment form is filled out and sent back to Top Rider, you will be sent a booking confirmation email and details on making payment.