What is the process for getting a motorbike licence?
Step 1: 2 Day Pre Learner Course
- To be eligible for this course you are required to have held a provisional or open car licence for 1 year
Step 2: Motorcycle Knowledge Test
- Once you have successfully completed the Pre Learner course and are deemed competent you are eligible to sit the Motorcycle Knowledge Test to get your Motorbike Learners licence
Step 3: Three Month Waiting period
- You are required to hold your Motorcycle Learners licence for 3 months, before you are eligible to upgrade to your RE O licence
- During this period you should book in for training or practice with a family member or friend
Step 4: Restricted Licence (RE O)
- To be eligible to upgrade to your RE O licence you are required to have held your motorbike learners (RE L) licence for 3 months OR, if you obtained your RE learners before the 1st October 2016 you are eligible to participate in this course without any waiting period
Step 5: Unrestricted Licence (R)
- To be eligible to upgrade to your R (open bike licence) you are required to have held your RE O licence for 2 years (24 months) OR, if you obtained your RE O licence before the 1st October 2016 you are required to have held your RE O licence for 1 year (12 months)
Can i go straight for my unrestricted (R) bike licence if i am over a certain age?
No, you are unable to go straight for your R (open) licence if you are over a certain age. You will need to follow the licence process which can be found in our first FAQ.
Do i need to hold my motorcycle learners licence (RE L) for a certain amount of time?
As of the 1st October 2016 once you get your motorcycle learners permit you will need to hold it for 3 months before you are eligible to upgrade to your (RE) restricted licence.
If you had your motorcycle learners permit prior to the 1st October 2016 you can come and do your QRide (RE) Restricted licence course whenever, there is no waiting period.
Can i use my own bike for my QRide Licence course?
Yes, you can use your own bike for your QRide course
- If you are upgrading to your RE O licence, your bike must be LAMS approved, road worthy and registered
- If you are upgrading to you R licence, your bike has to be an R class unrestricted bike (it cannot be a LAMS approved bike), road worthy and registered
Can i take a pillion passenger?
Learners Permit (RE L) – no you can not take a pillion passenger
Restricted Licence (RE O) – you must have held your (RE) provisional licence for 12 months to be eligible to take a pillion passenger
Unrestricted Licence (R) – once you have your (R) open licence you are able to take a pillion passenger, provided your motorbike allows it
Do i need a bike licence to do a Speciality or Advanced course?
No, you do not need a bike licence to do an Advanced Course or Speciality course as they are held on private training ranges