Top Rider Torque
Hey Guys & Girls!!! How are you all? The best riding time of the year is on us, lovely rides through our beautiful countryside. The days are cool, the skies are blue, the sun is warm, and there are plenty of enjoyable kilometres to be had.
Just checked out our calendar and guess what the end of the year is coming like a speeding locomotive, it feels like we have just started yet the calendar confirms the reality of what we have performed this year
Our training program from the Gold Coast to Cairns and as far west as Mt Isa has been flat out at all 12 locations.
Bernie represented the company at the elite level, coaching and mentoring Anthony West in the world superbike championships, travelling to our beautiful Phillip Island, Miller, Salt lake city USA, Italy, France, England etc and returning to Australia . Hey, you may complain about traffic jams on your way to work, apparently it took Bernie 37 hrs just to get to work at Misano Italy
The Australian Air Force Special Forces Team used Top Rider for a two week dirt bike training program the guys were taken through from basics to elite riding programs, we could not get the grin of Bernie or Benkos faces, it is fair to say the instructors enjoyed the training program as much as the participates
Four-wheeler training for councils throughout Queensland with the latest being held at Innisfail, where all the people were issued with a Nationally Recognised Certificate enabling the people to legally operate a four-wheeler in their work place
The Motorcycle Instructors program was a great success, we had our first overseas trainee arrive to be trained as an instructor with Australia’s best Bernie Hatton, a pretty good result to see that people are prepared to travel from Asia to be trained by an Aussie, well done Eric and congratulations to all the other guys who are going through final stages of training
Bernie tested the latest superbikes for Rapid Bike Magazine at the farm, a privately owned track that sits on a beautiful 250-acre property, with over 22 turns the track is 5 klm long and has up and down hill sections. Bernie reckons he has to keep pinching himself, I thought the old Darlington Park track was special
The farm venue is a complete secret and is only available for elite training with Bernie himself and a few of his mates, we can tell you it is in NSW and we can organise transport and accommodation at the farm
Advanced courses at Lakeside, Marulan NSW and the special course at the farm are filling fast.
Call or email our office for further enquires!
We also have our special training packages, working with customers that are suffer from an illness or a disability and of course, there has been the story about Willy a young chap that had a fall and went through some rehabilitation work
If that’s not enough we are getting our range of protective clothing together to protect our customers at some extremely good rates with our famous mesh jackets still very popular, Kevlar jeans and a new range of gloves to complete our range
The workshop is alive with Andy and Tim working on customer’s bikes and school bikes from minor to major servicing. Workshop courses and suspension schools have proven to be a big success and we look forward to taking these courses to all our locations. Next available workshop course 11th November 2009 Book now!
I am glad I put our holidays in at the start of the year as I reckon we have earned them well and truly
A special thanks to you our customers, we love your support and thank you for recommending our services.
Thank you we do appreciate your support, hope you enjoy the newsletter.
Hints & Tips!
Riding in the Rain
For those summer days when the rain is unavoidable, a wet or damp road just adds danger – tarmac that grips perfectly in the dry could be like an ice rink in the wet. Making safe progress in the wet is still possible – Here are some tips to keep in mind and help you make your journey safer.
· Smoothness is the key. Moving away from a standstill, accelerating, cornering and braking must be done smoothly to avoid overloading the tyres. Pull away at low revs releasing the clutch slowly and smoothly, then gently wind on the throttle. On high-revving bikes with a surge in the power – sports bikes and two-strokes especially – short shift to stay below the point where more power kicks in unless you really need to. Torquay bikes can cause tyres to spin unexpectedly too. Use more back brake than usual, and squeeze the brakes gently, progressively loading the front tyre. You should not apply as much force as you would in the dry. Turn in to corners gently too, taking a sweeping line that requires very little lean to keep your bike on the fat part of the tyre.
· Leave more room. You cannot brake as hard or manoeuvre sharply on wet tarmac, so you need to double the safety margin you have to ensure you can deal with unexpected hazards.
· Keep your head up. Knowing the condition of the surface in front is important, but do not fixate on it. Being fully aware of your surroundings puts you in a better place and puts you more at ease.
· Read the road surface. Oil, diesel and mud are even more slippery when wet, and shiny-looking surfaces will offer less grip as rough guide. Shell-grip and chipping-based road surfaces are better. Avoid puddles where safe to – they could conceal potholes and other dangers, and your bike’s tyres could lift clear of the road at speed (aquaplaning).
· Check your tyres. Good tread depth is essential, but if you have to ride in the wet regularly you may need to choose tyres more suited to the task – sports touring tyres are designed to grip better on wet roads than sticky, lightly-treaded sports tyres, for example. Set them to the pressure recommended by the tyre manufacturer – do not be tempted to raise or lower them, it will not help.
Top 5 Tips for Safe Riding
Step 1 - Trust no -one but yourself
Step 2 - Avoid blind spots
Step 3 - Be defensive
Step 4 - Make room for other's mistakes
Step 5 - Slow down in town
Top Rider Jackets
Our lovely jackets come in a range of sizes from XS to 4XL and also in a great range of colours. The jackets feature 35 ml armour for arms, elbows, shoulder and brilliant back protection/
The jackets are extremely cool and not just in looks, as they allow greater airflow that reduce the loss of fluids in our hot climate, they also offer an inner liner for colder times. The jacket offers a glow strip that glows at night under lights.
These jackets retail for$330, however we are offering this outstanding jacket to you as a Top Rider customer for just$190(plus P&H if required).
Feel good and look great in these new Kevlar Jeans!
These motorcycle jeans have Kevlar stitched into the knee, thigh and backside areas to increase protection for riders in the event of a fall from their motorcycle. The Kevlar protects the rider from cuts, scratches and abrasions that occur during a fall. Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis. The Kevlar jeans ensure 100% security and minimises the risk of crash injury.
These jeans retail for$195, for our existing and current customers get these great jeans for only$99!!!!
Made of natural cowhide oil based leather, these gloves are great. Retailing for $75, for our current and existing customer get these trendy and comfortable gloves for just $55! There are 2 styles to choose from.
Advance Riding Course
We still have plenty of spots for our upcoming Advance Riding Courses at Lakeside.
Next available course 17th November 2009
The advance course is tailored to each individual’s needs, so it does not matter if you are an experienced or in experienced rider, this course is for everyone.
These are some of the skills that will be covered with you on the day.
· Body English lean in/against/with, weight distribution, steering geometry.
· Using eye direction, correct posture, and rider input to get the most out of your motorcycle.
· Cornering techniques including set up, counter steering, setting and changing cornering lines.
· Braking points and techniques to reduce emergency stopping distances, and to improve cornering control. Braking front only, rear only & combined, control lock up, wet weather braking.
· Throttle control and weight transfer techniques to enable quick changes of direction as well as optimising grip and improving overall smoothness.
· Judgement exercises that will improve cornering and the rider’s ability to ‘Read the Road’.
· Grip & skid control.
At the end of the day you will be issued with an Advanced Course Certificate
What can you expect to take away with you after your course?
After completing the course you will feel and become more aware and experienced in the different facets of riding and knowing your motorcycle.
· System of motorcycle control
· Acceleration, Use of gears, Braking
· Cornering, Balance, Avoidance skids
· Signals, Positioning & Overtaking
· Speed and safety
· Hazard perception training & risk identification
· Motorcycle care, protective clothing & basic first aid
· Motorcycle set up: brakes, clutch, chain, lights, cables, mirrors, tyres, suspension
· Low speed handling skills
· Eye direction
· Road conditions & lane positioning
· Rider fatigue
Andy’s Workshop Summer Special
Are you aware that TOP RIDER has fully qualified
Offering Full Workshop facilities
· Major and Minor services for all makes and models .Free loan bike whilst being serviced.
· Puncture Repairs
· FREE Quotes
· FREE Coffee or Tea
Free coolant with cooling system flush and pressure test
Avoid a cloud of steam ending your ride early!
Drop in today and see Andy for a free assessment :-)
Top Rider’s Workshop courses have been a huge success over the past 2 months and the next one on 11th November should not be missed. The cost is $120.00 for the 3-hour course with coffee/tea and pizza supplied. This is a fun but very informative night with our head mechanic. With plenty of written material to take home and lots of hands on experience. Book now!
This is the ultimate interactive resource for Moto GP fans online. From here, you can download exclusive Moto GP screensavers and wallpapers and play the Fantasy Moto GP 2009 game. http://www.motogp.com/en
Today more than ever, Superbike represents one of the most electrifying and energetic displays of modern motorcycle racing. http://www.worldsbk.com/en
Cycle Torque is a FREE monthly motorcycle newspaper covering news, racing, testing and events across Australia. Published monthly, Cycle Torque is FREE at over 350 bike shops across Australia. It is owned and run by motorcycle enthusiasts. http://www.cycletorque.com.au/
Insure My Ride
Do not get ripped off with your motorbike insurance. www.insuremyride.com.au
Great Australian motocross website, with all the latest news on local and National motocross. http://www.motocross.com.au/default.asp
Lakeside Advance Rider Training –17th November 2009 and 9th December 2009
Marulan NSW Course - 28th November 2009
Workshop Maintenance Course - 11th November 2009
Don't miss out! For more information contact one of our lovely ladies in the office on 1300 13 13 62
Joke of the Month
Badass biker Bob wakes up at home with a huge hangover. He forces himself to open his eyes, and the first thing he sees is a couple of aspirins and a glass of water on the side table. He sits up and sees his clothing in front of him, all clean and pressed. Bob looks around the room and sees that it is in perfect order, spotless, clean. So is the rest of the house.
He takes the aspirins and notices a note on the table: "Honey, breakfast is on the stove, I left early to go shopping. Love you." So he goes to the kitchen, and sure enough, there is a hot breakfast and the morning newspaper. His son is also at the table, eating. Bob asks, "Son, what happened last night?" His son says, "Well, you came home after 3 A.M., drunk and delirious, broke some furniture, puked in the hallway, and gave yourself a black eye when you stumbled into the door." Confused, Badass Bob asks, "So, why is everything in order and so clean, and breakfast is on the table waiting for me?" His son replies, "Oh, that! Mom dragged you to the bedroom, and when she tried to take your pants off, you said,"Oi Lady leave me alone, I'm married!!!"
Each month we are going to include a customer blog and input. Please let us know your experiences/stories with us and/or out on the open road. Send your e-mails to email@example.com. Also, if you wish to advertise on our monthly newsletter please e-mail us.